Homebirth Advantages for the Mother
- She is not subjected to routine procedures, electronic monitoring, IV’s, multiple vaginal exams or stirrups.
- She will have continuity of care with the same midwife and assistant throughout the entire process.
- She will be treated as an individual, rather than being sacrificed to a set of protocols or procedures.
- She is much less likely to require drugs for pain, forceps or a cesarean section when she has a midwife who knows that birth is a normal physiological function.
- She is comfortable in her own surroundings, relaxed and able to labor and deliver as she chooses.
- Postpartum depression is much less common since there is no separation of mother and baby, and because the midwife relationship/support continues well after the birth.
Homebirth Advantages for the Family
- In their own homes, family is able to participate as fully as the mother pleases.
- Other children can be present as appropriate.
- The birth is an integral part of family life, which helps with postpartum adjustment.